Friday, May 11, 2007

Exhausting Rome



Four exhausting days in Rome was sheer heaven! Jam-packed with activity, I can now say I have truly seen the birthplace of Western civilization up close & personal.

While dodging cars & motorscooters (even on sidewalks) and being jostled along by hurrying Romans, I was able to accomplish the following:
  • Colosseum
  • Roman Forum
  • Pantheon
  • National Museum of Rome
  • Vatican Museum
  • St. Peter's Basilica (Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel)
  • St. Peter-in-Chains
  • Arch of Constantine
  • Mammertine Prison
  • Trajan's Column
  • Trevi Fountain
  • Santa Maria della Vittoria
I tried to make the Capuchin Crypt, but it was closed for renovations. That would have been quite a site! The thought of seeing 5,000 decoratively arranged bones is both chilling and exciting.

With all there is to do in Rome, it's enough to call it a day and head back to the USA. I'm certainly tired enough. However, the ghosts of Pompeii, the birth place of pizza, and Michaelangelo's David await my arrival. Who am I to disappoint?

(Click thumbnails to enlarge)
1. 2.

3. 4.


5. 6.


7. 8.


9. 10.


11. 12.


1. The Rise & Fall of Rome (The white represents its growth)
2. The column that St. Peter was chained to at Mammertine Prison
3. The chains that held St. Peter
4. YWCA: My haven at the end of the day
5. Davi from Brazil and me
6. Free, cool, refreshing water from public fountains
7. World's most luxurious McDonald's
8. In front of the Colosseum
9. The Vatican
10. Cobbled streets of the Roman Forum (same streets walked by Julius Caesar)
11. Grave of Julius Caesar with fresh flowers on it
12. Severus Alexander and Septimius Severus - African rulers of ancient Rome (National Museum of Rome)

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Could I feature your blog on my blog? I think it would be cool to let people know that there's a sista out there traveling the world. let me know and I will get it posted by Thurs. my email is anjol35@yahoo.com. My blog is deliberatelyvoluptuous.blogspot.com thanks!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Black Wombmyn Chat said...

Love your blog! My husband and I are currently in Japan. We've explored quite a lot of Asia. My dream is to see Europe next. How fortunate you are!

11:57 PM  
Blogger KayC, The Quiet Storm said...

This is on my to-see list as well. How do you find your deals? Do you travel in tourist groups?

Davi is cute by the way ;)

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home