Monday, May 07, 2007

Airport, Rome


When I got to Rome, I was a bit apprehensive about venturing out into the city. So much so, it took me full 3 hours to leave the airport. It was my first time stepping into Europe alone and I'd heard that Rome was overwhelming. As long as I was in the airport, I was assured someone spoke English and I was only a gate away from going home without a hassle and help was immediate. Once I stepped outside of the sanctuary of the airport, I would be all alone amongst 1 million Romans and its many tourists. No one knew my name or cared and I couldn't simply call someone to come & get me. It was a big, unknown world out there.

Initially, I wasn't aware of my feelings until I realized how much time had passed. I'd spent the time trying to get money from the ATM, exchanging money, looking for a calling card, finding the restroom, discreetly tucking money into my moneybelt, etc. After I'd run out of things to check or do, there was nothing to do but leave. Leave. Go outside. I'd wanted this for much of my life and here I was. Now I knew how agoraphobics felt; afraid of the unknown outside world. I took a deep breath & stepped into the pulsating, moving, panoramic, 3-D picture of Rome.

I have since found my bearings and stepped bravely into traffic, belted hardy Buon Giornos, and moved about the beautiful country of Italy as I was born to do.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad I found your blog. I am a wanna be traveler who is happy to see another sista trekking out into the world. I am excited to see where your travels will take you next. visit me at deliberatelyvoluptuous.blogspot.com.It's fluff but it's mine:)

1:42 PM  
Blogger Going Natural said...

I enjoyed reading this because I feel you. It's how I felt when I traveled Europe. Keep writing. It's entertaining to read too.

5:52 PM  
Blogger KayC, The Quiet Storm said...

Glad I found your blog, I am looking to travel and will probably travel alone as well.

Good for you!!!!

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I have questions about your travel alone and want to speak with you regarding it, please email me at aj1991@yahoo.com. I really need some help with over seas travel. I am really doing things in the US and I need or would like a travel buddy, but its hard to do thinks with people.

Your blog is GREAT!

ANJA/ ATLANTA

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is AWESOME!!! I am so happy to have found your site. I can't wait until I finally take my European Adventure. I never even thought of staying in hostels. Thank you so much! You have given me the courage I knew I had (so where in there).

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home