Sunday, July 23, 2006

What's in a Name?


Moreno! Negrita! That's what the men here call me.

Why is it that men choose to call me by my skin color? Not just here in Spain, either. An ex calls me Black Girl. I've also been Chocolate Girl, Chocolate Star, Island Brown, etc. So whether they know my name or not, my skin color seems to be the title of choice.

Well, while I'm here in Spain, there's never a misunderstanding as to who they're referring to as I am often the only "Negrita" around.

It doesn't matter. After all, what's in a name? My name of choice: Child of GOD.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could it be because you have such beautiful even glowing brown skin? Im jealous.. I need to talk to you, me and my friends are planning a graduation trip to Spain or Italy next summer and i have no Idea where to start. I'll send you a PM on NP

3:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! I discovered your blog on NP. I'm currently living in Jordan and experience the same thing. I'm often called "samra", which means dark girl. Feel free to check out my blog: http://cybilloverseas.blogspot.com. We both use the same layout. What a coincidence! God bless you and I look forward to reading more of your travel experiences.

12:46 AM  
Blogger cclark1 said...

Wow I love your blog!! I found your profile on Nappurals and I think I've seen you on Black Hair Care Forum. I'm also an educator. And I love to travel!!!! I was in Spain and Italy this summer and will be going down to FL this week :) As far as "negrita", it's 1) often used to refer to a person's skin color. But not in any way offensive. And 2) it can be used as a term of endearment, regardless of skin color.

http://public.fotki.com/cclark1/

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home