Saturday, December 20, 2008

Mi Pelo III

He sat next to me as I lounged on a bench on the zocolo in Acapulco, Mexico.

"Your hair is very pretty," he said in Spanish.
"Thank you very much," I responded in Spanish, smiling.

Next, he asked if he could touch it. "Si." From there, we talked for hours. Sometimes in English. Sometimes in Spanish. We talked about everything from relationships to difficulties learning each other's language. We had great fun laughing at the tourist who took the mike and decided he was Elvis incarnate. When he switched up and sang "Unchained Melody" from the movie Ghost we both yelled, "Ghost/Phantasma" in the other's language at the same time dissolving into giggles. All too soon it was nearing midnight and I had to go because I had to get up early. We exchanged emails and said our goodbyes.

As I walked away down the still-crowded street, I heard someone yelling my name. It was Vicente. He said he was supposed to meet his friend, but he didn't show up. I didn't believe him, but I was happy for the company. I really wasn't paying attention as we walked, so we casually got lost which he playfully pointed out when he saw me looking around. I jumped at a loud clang! that came from one of the many open businesses & he reassured me with a "No te preocupre (not to worry)", that he would protect me.

We finally found my hotel. We talked a few moments more, said our goodbyes again, and promised to write.

Mi Pelo
Mi Pelo II

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Amina said...

aaw...beautiful experience

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your blog! you are doing something i really want to do sometime in the future. how have you been able to do this? time wise, money wise..its seems like an amazing experience

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! You talked for hours and only met there on the bench just a few moments before! So cool! You learn so much from total strangers, especially when travelling. The experience sounds so much like a book I am readings called "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. have you heard of it?

11:31 AM  
Blogger The Black Planeteer said...

Greetings! I work for myself, so I'm able to set my own time to travel. As for cost, as you can see, I am very frugal in my travels. LOL! I did a post a while back about being frugal: http://blkgrl.blogspot.com/2006/06/pinching-pennies-spain-on-budget.html

8:36 PM  
Blogger The Black Planeteer said...

@ Vanessa, yes, we'd just met. Sometimes, you just connect with people like that. It helps if you are open and interested in others.

I LOVED the book Eat, Pray, Love. That was one book that touched my spirit and had me laughing at some points. The author's a little off, but I loved it all the same. Enjoy the read!

9:16 PM  
Blogger matt williams said...

Aw this almost makes me weep. You should really write a book on your travel experiences.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice story

2:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice blog, I especially like how your whit radiates from your writing-almost makes me nostalgic. That being said, I do NOT like you in foreign countries allowing foreign strangers to hold court with you sans chaperon...other than that keep up the great work. luv u!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Sarah Brooke said...

thats so cute!! Aww... I see a date comming on!

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Dirk said...

I appreciate the labour you have put in developing this blog. Nice and informative.

4:50 AM  
Blogger DianeN said...

That is such a beautiful story, it's a real connection you know? by travellingyou connect with the world and that is beautiful :), How i it going now, are you still on the road?

10:08 AM  
Blogger The Black Planeteer said...

Diane, I haven't traveled much since the DR. I've been to Hermosillo, MX and Las Vegas, but that's it. I hope to get back in the swing of things soon.

1:02 AM  
Blogger liveletlive said...

Nice post. :)
Our hair is a great conversation starter!

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home