Monday, February 11, 2008

Question in Quimixto


Today, I sat by beautiful waterfalls where I meditated and wrote in my journal. The sound of gently splashing water is perfect for contemplating and recording the meanings of life. I look down occasionally at the revelers splashing around in the water. I consider joining them, but the brownness of the water deters me. Our tour guide comes to sit beside me, disturbing my peace. He crossed his legs and began chanting. Then he opened one eye to make sure I was watching his silly butt. I laugh. When he found out I was a teacher, he yelled out to all of Quimixto that here was their new teacher. They need one. The kids have to take a boat extremely early in the morning to go to school in the next town.

Crossing the River
As I'm walking towards the water taxi, it suddenly strikes me that I am actually walking across a rocky beach in Quimixto (kay-meeks-toe), Mexico, a small, boat-access only seaside village that only got electricity three years ago, with a backpack on my back to take me to Yelapa, another remote fishing village. What in the world is this chick from the projects of the deep south doing here?? Lovin' every minute of it is what I'm doing here.

The beach to catch the water taxi to places beyond.

Restaurant Near the Waterfall


Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Oneika said...

blkgirl,
I am loving the blog! It is so great to see a sista like myself who is so motivated to travel. Where are you off to next?

I am thinking that I will be off to Brazil this Christmas... ;-)

12:02 AM  
Blogger The Black Planeteer said...

I'm thinking somewhere in Mexico soon. Brazil is definitely on my future list. WHY am I watching a show about a volleyball player from Brazil right now! LOL! Maybe we'll be there sooner than we think. :o)

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home