Friday, July 07, 2006

First Class All the Way


When I initially found out how long the flight from Phoenix (via Philadephia) to Madrid was, I almost chose another destination. Departure was at 6:15 AM on Wednesday and arrival in Madrid was 8:30 AM on Thursday. What would I do with myself all that time?? Taking my entertainment bag was out of the question because I´d have to carry it all around Spain with me and there are only so many magazines & crossword puzzles a person can do.

As it turns out, I had absolutely nothing to fear. Although first class from Phoenix to Philly was full, Philly to Madrid was not. This would be my second time flying first class internationally, the first time being 4 years ago. That was nothing compared to this experience. (Perhaps Phoenix to Toronto, Canada doesn´t count.) Between the on-demand TV shows, movies, and music and the Sony noise reduction-like headsets, it was enough to keep a sistah entertained for hours.

Alas, I didn´t get to have a look-see at all that was offered. After a nice salad, dinner choices of Eastern Shore Crab Cakes (my choice), Texas Cowboy Chili Spiced Filet Mignon, or Mason Dixon Pecan Crusted Chicken and dessert of cheeses, fresh fruit, and chocolate mousse, you know what I was ready to do. I didn´t do it right away, though. 7:oo PM was too early to sleep, so I read through a Budget Travel and Ebony magazine. (Umm, umm, UMM! LL was on the cover.) Eventually, it got to me so I reclined my space shuttle-ish seat (capable of laying completely flat), cocooned myself in the ultra soft throw I was given and knocked out. When I woke up, we were landing in Madrid. Needless to say, it was the best sleep I had ever gotten on a plane.

I thanked GOD for a safe arrival and the opportunity for new and exciting experiences. I have been through some trials recently and have another battle to fight when I return home. I am thankful for them because I know they are designed to make me stronger in order to be of service to my community on a larger scale. They also reinforce GOD´s faithfulness towards me and HIS neverending mercies. At the same time, I am thankful for this respite and plan to enjoy every little detail...even the plane ride.

3 Comments:

Blogger curlykidz said...

WOO HOO... SO GLAD YOU MADE IT SAFE.

While you are kicking it up in spain, I'm kickin' it in Herington, KS. (sigh) Have fun for me, OK?

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you made it safely! What airline did you fly? That little set up you had on the plane looks so comfy. I didn't even know those kinds of seats existed, and don't even get me started on your meal choices!!

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooh La La!!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home