Thursday, June 29, 2006

Rain On My Parade?

While conducting more research about my upcoming trip, I encountered posts on a few websites about racism in Spain. Now, this ain't listed in any of the guidebooks I've read. I guess Rick Steve's didn't have any negative encounters in his travels. Apparently that isn't the case for some sistahs.

According to anecdotes I've read, women of African descent have experienced incidents where they were mistaken for prostitutes. Seems as though many of the prostitutes in various parts of Spain are illegal immigrants or refugees from the continent of Africa and they're very active and aggressive. For that reason, ALL women of dark skin are taken for prostitutes. It's difficult for me to believe anyone could be that ignorant. There's something to be said for common decency; that you wouldn't approach anyone that way unless they send you a signal. I understand things aren't so bad once they realize you're . Umph, ain't that somethin'.
So, what am I going to do? I'm goin' to Spain, ya'll! This will not dampen my excitement. I'm just thankful I know this may happen, so I won't be taken by surprise. I'll also be sure to follow custom and dress conservatively and ignore any ignorance I may encounter.

Keep me in your prayers, yall.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad to hear that you're not letting that spoil your trip. Take it from someone who just left a country where Catholics and Protestants can't see eye to eye, racism exists everywhere. For the most part, you're ok...you're American! Once they hear the accent, you'll be fine. But you're smart, you know what to not get yourself into. And...you're from Birmingham!! The heart of all racism. You'll be fine. I'm proud of you. I envy your spontaneity. You're in my prayers...I love you.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tiny:
I know, I know, but you'll always be Tiny to me. Please be very mindful of your surroundings, and you will do just fine. Keep God first, last and always.
Always in my thoughts and prayers,
I Love You!!!!!
Rose

11:17 AM  
Blogger The Black Planeteer said...

Update: 1/9/09 - I'm just reading through past blogs and just have to report that not one time was I mistaken for a prostitute in Spain. :o)

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home